- BC NDP – The BC NDP ( British Columbia New Democratic Party) is an opposition against the construction of the Enbridge Pipeline and they show their support against the Enbridge Pipeline construction by going to hearings and stating the negative effects on British Columbia’s environment & jobs.
^ British Columbia NDP leadership candidate Adrian Dix speaks during a debate in Surrey, B.C.
- Liberal Party – The Liberal Party of Canada, unlike the BC NDP, are supporting the construction of the Enbridge Pipeline through hearings in BC where they show their support and explain or state its benefits. For example in a B.C. hearing, Liberal Premier Christy Clark mentions a condition that calls for B.C. to get greater economic benefits.
Individual Contact with your Elected Representative (or Public Servant)
- The Pacific Wild – A non-profit conservation organization dedicated to protecting Canada’s Pacific coast, is COMPLETELY AGAINST the Enbridge Pipeline and thus has created a website that gives you ideas of how you can contact your elected Representative or Prime Minister. In addition, they give a sample letter on their website to give you a basic format you can use in sending your letter & their website even gives the emails of the leaders of parties such as the NDP & Liberal parties.
- Greenpeace – Similar to Pacific Wild, Greenpeace has also stated on their website how the greenhouse gas emissions have devastated the air, water, forest and land in Northern Alberta & have created a pre-constructed email that one can send to Joe Oliver, federal Minister of Natural Resources.
Institutionalized Pressure Groups
- The aforementioned Greenpeace – Greenpeace is an institutionalized pressure group as they have been and still are constantly battling against any ideal that endangers wildlife on the Earth, such as the Enbridge Pipeline. Moreover, they host protest groups & use their website to get people to support their motives.
- The Wilderness Committee – The wilderness committee is an institutionalized pressure group against the construction of the Enbridge Pipeline. This committee is an institutionalized pressure group as they have and will always be around ready to protect Canada’s biodiversity & they have done so by using rallies, media and more.
Issue-Oriented Pressure Groups
- Pipe up against Enbridge – The “Pipe up against Enbridge” group seems to be the only most known issue-oriented group as their main focus is to persuade the people involved with the development of the Enbridge Pipeline into protesting against its construction. Furthermore, this group has a website called pipeupagainstenbridge.ca where there has been no background knowledge of the group helping the environment in the long-term and all over their site they mention information relative to the Enbridge Pipeline project. Therefore, it is clear that they are JUST an issue-oriented pressure group.
- According to a post on CBC news’s website, the federal registry shows 12 different lobbyists at work for the pipeline support in 2011 and 2012. Basically, you can see the amount of lobbyists Prime Minister Harper and Enbridge Incorporated have hired to promote the “go” in the construction of the Enbridge Pipeline.
The following video is an Enbridge Pipeline Chief lobbying the companies strive for zero leaks in the pipeline: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/08/24/pol-cp-enbridge-lobbying.html
Take the Government to Court
- The Carrier Sekani Tribal Council (CSTC) – The Carrier Sekani Tribal Council have filed an application in Federal Court challenging the decision of Minister of the Environment in the pathway of the Enbridge proposal. This sends the Government a message that one of the first nation groups they have relations with is unhappy which may cause them to change their decision about the pipelines proposed path.
- Social Media websites – Many people use social media websites & news sites to state their opinion where anyone with internet access can view. Also, it is an easy way to influence the government, or at least get their attention, into seeing that many people think negatively (in this example) towards the construction of the Enbridge Pipeline.
- Social Media websites – Same goes for the Enbridge Inc. & anyone else supporting the development of the Enbridge Pipeline. For example, Enbridge Inc. has posted many videos on the social media website YouTube to show how beneficial the Enbridge Pipeline should be if made.
- Citizens of B.C. – Thousands of people gathered on the front lawn of the B.C. legislature Monday to protest against the Northern Gateway pipeline project (Enbridge Pipeline). This truly shows how thousands of people are against the pipeline project and how willing they are to make the government think about how this may negatively affect citizens (in their opinion).
- BC Citizens – Thousands vow to lie down in front of bulldozers if that is what it takes to influence the Government into not making this pipeline a reality. They hope that this will send a clear and vivid message to the Government saying that many citizens of British Columbia do not want this pipeline to be developed.
- First Nations – Even many first nations warn the Government of civil disobedience should the pipeline be given the “go” to be constructed.