Summary: Facebook is testing a new feature similar to Microsoft’s Skype that is able to allow people to make free calls on their smartphone. In addition this feature is only available in Canada as any Canadian Facebook user who updates their iOS Messenger apps will be able to make free calls to their friends.
How is this related to technology? : Smartphones are technological devices that have been around for quite a long time. Therefore, anything closely related to smartphones such as some Facebook iOS messenger app updates to improve its capabilities, is related to technology.
- Facebook owners (Positive): If this feature works well and many consumers enjoy it and like using it, than the owners of Facebook will gain some major renown and maybe even gain consumers that originally used a similar feature of a different service such as Apple’s Face Time.
- Facebook programmers (Positive): Similar to the owners of Facebook, if the feature works well then the programmers will gain some recognition from their superiors and maybe even a raise. However, if the app is not selling well than they may be the one that are blamed and maybe even have their salary cut.
- Canadian Facebook users (Positive): As long as Canadian Facebook users update their iOS Messenger apps than they will be able to be positively affected due to the ability to make free calls to their Facebook friends.
- Non-Canadian Facebook users (Negative): Unlike Canadian Facebook users, until this feature is available to most, if not everyone, world-wide then they will have to wait for the feature to OFFICIALLY be released.
- Other services with a similar feature (Positive/Negative): Depending on how well the other services are working is how they are affected by Facebook’s feature coming out. For example, if Microsoft’s Skype is not functioning well then they will lose consumers to Facebook (assuming that their feature works better) as it is working better than their feature. However, if Facebook’s feature is a bust than the other services with similar features will be positively affected as they may gain Facebook users to use their mobile service feature.
- Government (Neutral): Whether or not this app does well, the government should not be affected at all, if any, as there are more pressing matters such as economic issues.
Reflection/Opinion/Questions: In my opinion, this new feature showed be as successful as Microsoft’s Skype & Apple’s Face time mobile services. The reason why I think this is because it does NOT look like their is genuinely anything new from the aforementioned services. However, it may run better and smoother than the other services, I believe that that is unlikely as the compatibility of phones with this feature vary causing it to possibly be even worse than it was built up to be.
Would you get this feature of another company’s SIMILAR feature?
Do you think that this feature will sell more than Apple’s or Microsoft’s?
In your opinion, is this Facebook’s best feature idea up to date?
Summary: A school named Sandy Hook elementary located in Connecticut left many dead including children, in fact it left a total of 27 dead, 20 of which were children. Moreover, the shooter was identified as Ryan Lanza at first as the real killer Adam Lanza was carrying his older brother’s identification. This is such a serious matter that even President Obama made a brief statement that can be found by clicking the link above this summary. In addition, this horrific event sends a subjection of how the American population is “a culture of violence, not only in the form of police shootings and brutality, but an assault on democratic rights.”
How is this related to technology? : Phones were used to call for help, guns supplied the killer with mass murders and more technological devices were used in this horrific event. Therefore, since these technological devices were used for whatever it may be, anything somewhat related to it, such as this article, is related to technology.
- Kids who survived this event (Negative): For the kids that survived this horrendous event and were in this event will be forever traumatized from what took place. Moreover, for those who peeked while trying to close their eyes and saw the dead and wounded will be even more haunted by this tragedy and may need to seek therapy in the future for these images may cause health problems like sleep deprivation.
- Parents of the dead children (Negative): Those parents of the children that were killed in this heartbreaking event may never recover over the loss of their child. In fact, they may need to seek therapy to help try and move on over their devastating lost. Also, they may too experience sleep deprivation.
- President Barack Obama (Negative): Some people, most likely Connecticut citizens will look to blame somebody and the president of America may take some of the blame for a lack of security for American schools and other reasons that one may call upon.
- Connecticut School District (Negative): Due to the tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, every other school in the Connecticut school district will be negatively affected as the students and staff that work there will be afraid and may not want to work there anymore in fear of another tragedy. Also, if they do choose to continue working there they may not work the same way as they used to as they may be living in constant fear.
- Connecticut Police (Negative/Positive): Depending on how one looks at it, the police can be negatively or positively affected. For example, one can find the Police as coming too late to the scene and that they could have saved more lives than they did (negative). However, one can also see it as the police saving the day and doing the best they could in the amount of time they had (positive).
- Connecticut Community (Negative): From this event the Connecticut Community will most likely be now known as a feared state and a very violent one. Also, the economy might drop significantly as residents may decide to leave to another state which they deem as safer.
- Government (Negative): The blame may also go towards the government for not having better security in American schools. In addition, this is just another set-back for the government as they will have to focus on trying to mend those severely affected emotionally, physically, and spiritually Therefore, slowing down their attempts and procedures in other priorities.
- American Society (Negative): From this event people will now judge American society even more, as a violent cruel and dangerous group of men and women.
- Students in other schools across the globe (Negative): Students in other schools across the globe may now live in fear while in school as they may think that their school is in danger too and that they may die.
- The killer’s family & relatives (Negative): I believe that the killer’s family & relatives will be affected pretty badly as they have been and may continue to be questioned about Adam Lanza. Not only that, but they may also be looked down upon for having such a twisted member in their family.
Reflection/Opinion/Questions: This is genuinely one of mankind’s most horrific and gruesome disasters in history. It even makes me think about if the school I go to is truly prepared for such an event. I also feel for those of Connecticut as there are many people judging those who live there. They do not deserve these naive judgments! Overall, words cannot FULLY describe this catastrophe and I also think that me or anybody can describe this to the full extent as well.
Do you think that you can describe this event to its fullest?
How do you feel after this catastrophe?
Does your view on Americans change because of this event?
News Post #14 HDTV is so yesterday. Say hello to ‘Ultra HDTV’. Trade show will spotlight trends in television, PCs and phones
Summary: At the biggest trade show in the Americas, in Las Vegas, TV makers will be doing their best to convince you that HDTVs are so yesterday, and that Ultra HDTV is the best generation of TVs to date. In addition, even though big trendsetter companies will not be joining this trade show, such as Apple Inc. and Microsoft Corp. many small companies will be rushing and clamoring for a booth and a spotlight in this trade show for a while, until all the booths are taken. If this show is a hit and many executives, purchasing managers, engineers, marketers, journalists and others with connections to the industry attend, then the CEA will gain some major income and renown as many attendants are paying to see these companies’ products shown as well as participants are paying to get a booth spot in this show.
How is this related to technology? : Many technological devices will be shown in this trade show such as TVs, Cell-phones, Cell-phone chips, PCs and many more. Therefore, since this event promotes these devices it is fairly related to technology and even uses other technological devices to run the trade show!
- Consumer Electronics Association (Positive): If this show is a hit and many executives, purchasing managers, engineers, marketers, journalists and others with connections to the industry attend, then the CEA will gain some major income and renown as many attendants are paying to see these companies’ products shown as well as participants are paying to get a booth spot in this show.
- Participants/Companies in this show (Positive/Negative): If certain companies in this show do well in showing off their product and design, then they will gain some major renown and maybe even investments from investors. However, if certain companies bomb their showcase then they will not be selling a lot of their products and may even lose money to those other companies that do better than them. Basically, whichever company does well will be positively affected and whichever company does bad will be negatively affected!
- Hotel Owners (Positive): The owners of the hotel that the participants will stay in will gain some major income as all those attendees, an estimated 156,000 or so, will pay for their rooms and refreshments, thus giving the owners of the hotel some HUGE income.
- Hotel Employees (Positive): Similar to the hotel owners, the employees working at the hotel will gain some extra money as well due to the tips they may get from the immense amount of people staying at the hotel!
- Government (Neutral): The government may add taxes when the companies products are released but I believe that they will most likely not get too involved if at all and remain taking care of higher priority stuff (economy).
- Big name companies not participating (Negative/Neutral): Any big name companies that are not participating in this trade show may lose investments to those companies participating in the show as they may do well and gain major investments which may cause a chain effect to the big name companies and lose investors. However, it is possible that this event may still not help those companies exceed expectations and that the big name trendsetters like Apple Inc. will not be affected, so they may remain neutral as well.
Reflection/Opinion/Questions: I genuinely believe that this trade show will benefit some participants (the ones that do better than the others or just well) and that they will gain a few investments to help them become a success. In addition, I believe that the CEA will benefit from this show as well from all the attendants that are expected to show and the participants that are paying for a booth spot! Overall, I have high hopes for this trade show.
Do you think this show will be a success?
Will big trendsetter names such as Apple Inc. be affected?
What do you think about the “Ultra HDTV” & would you buy it?
Summary: A software update to Samsung’s Galaxy S3 will arrive by January 8 and 11, but not only that Samsung will vary with country and carrier. Most of the update includes many upgrades to the phone’s 8-megapixel camera such as the “Best-Face” function that will take five consecutive shots and then give the user the ability to choose which face (in their opinion) is the best! Also, the phone will be getting the multiwindow feature that lets you open two different apps at the same time, as well as additional features such as the new “Reader” mode and “The Facebook Lock Ticker”. These can be explained more by clicking the link to the article!
How is this related to technology? : Smartphones are technological devices that have been around for quite a long time. Therefore, anything closely related to smartphones such as some updates to improve its capabilities, is related to technology.
- Consumers of Samsung (Positive): The consumers that usually buy Samsung’s products will most likely be positively affected as this update (should it work fairly well) will only enhance their experience with their smartphone and now they will be able to take better pictures with the camera in their phone, use multiple apps at the same time and many more!
- Consumers of other phone companies (Negative): Other consumers that usually buy other companies’ products will most likely be negatively affected as they will not get this update if they most likely have another company’s phone. In addition, if they wanted to buy Samsung’s phone and get the update it would only cost more to buy that phone and thus making them lose money from their wallets.
- Samsung programmers and owners (Positive): Should this update get fairly good reviews and work well the owners and programmers will gain some major income as more people will most likely switch to Samsung’s phones (if they already own a phone of a different company). However, if for some unlikely reason that this update is a “bust” then the owners and programmers will lose money, but to reiterate this is highly unlikely as it is a update that affects the camera mostly.
- People that invested in this update (Positive): If this update works fairly well and sells well (I believe it will) then it should give anyone who invested into this update major income. However, again, if the update is a bust then the investors will lose money, (I just believe it will sell very well).
- Opposing companies’ owners and programmers (Negative): Should this update work well then opposing companies’ owners and programmers will lose money as some consumers that buy their products may switch phones and instead buy and use Samsung’s smartphones. However, if for some unlikely reason that this update is a “bust” then these opposing owners and programmers will not lose money and maybe even gain new consumers that used to buy Samsung’s phone (I believe that this wont happen though and that the update will sell very well).
- Government (Neutral): The government doesn’t really get involved with this type of thing as there have more important priorities such as the economy.
Reflection/Opinion/Questions: I personally think that this update will sell well and that consumers that get will get this update will be pleased in the aforementioned features that come with it. In addition. I wonder how much of a difference this update will make in terms of people that use Samsung’s phones to people that use other companies’ smartphones or if this will make a difference at all. Overall, I have high hopes for this update as it should make little things in life such as taking a picture, much more fun and even easier!
Do you think this update will sell well?
Would you buy a Galaxy S3 (if you don’t have one) if you knew this update would come out?
Do you think this update will make a difference in how many people buy Samsung’s smartphones to people that buy other smartphones of another company?
Summary: According to researchers, checking our text messages is like an addiction similar to other drugs. Also, for people around that person, they find it very annoying! Students aged 18 to 29 spend about 7 hours per day interacting with information and communication technology via their cellphone. Moreover, it`s mostly young adults that have this addiction and there are so many comparisons that describe the addiction of teens with their cellphones. For example, “it felt like they had lost a limb when they were without them” is one comparison and some said they felt so deprived without their phone that it was if they have “phantom limb” syndrome suffered by amputees, found from a study conducted at the UM or (University of Maryland).
How is this related to technology? : Cellphones are technological devices that have been around for quite a long time. Therefore, anything closely related to cellphones is related to technology, such as texting via cellphones!
- People that text with their phone (Positive/Negative): People that text with their phone may be able to get help with certain problems such as homework when those people cannot meet each other in person, but most likely they will procrastinate and chat about random things such as gossip about their friends. As a result, they will become addicted to texting about such topics and may isolate themselves from their friends who they do not text with.
- Owners of phones that enable fast texting (Positive): Owners of phones that enable fast texting would be positively affected as those people that like to text with that certain phone will buy the company`s most recent phone hoping that it will help them text faster! Thus, giving the company of that phone and its owner(s) more income.
- Owners of phones that are not really built for texting (slow) like old “flip-phones” (Negative): Owners of phones that are not really built for texting will be negatively affected as people will want to buy a new phone if they own that slow phone and as a result the owner(s) will lose consumers and income.
- People around the person texting back and forth with somebody (Neutral/Negative): People around the person texting back and forth with somebody will be irritated as if the person texting does not have headphones on and vibration turned of the constant noise may give those surrounding people a headache. However, if the texting person does have their phone on silent with vibration off then it should be no problem and not affecting the people surrounding him or her.
- Government (Neutral): The government doesn’t really get involved with this type of thing as there have more important priorities such as the economy.
Reflection/Opinion/Questions: I personally think that texting is an addiction for some people as I have friends that constantly text near me and pay no attention to any conversations we are trying to have with him or her. In addition, I completely agree with these researchers in that some people are completely addicted and without a phone to text with their life will be a disaster!
If you have a phone, are you addicted to texting?
if you do not have a phone, do you think when you get one you will become addicted to texting?
If or when someone texts near you, are you or will you be irritated by them?
Link: http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article (UPDATE- This article MAY not be found)
Summary: The questions people ask to their close friends, family and co-workers are most likely, if not definitely, different than the questions a person asks on the internet (via a search engine). Moreover, one line of questioning that comes up with puzzling frequency in auto-complete or auto-suggest, is whether a person is gay or not. For example, in Google’s search engine if you type in “is” followed by a space and another letter of the alphabet you may get an auto-complete or auto-suggestion that will read is <insert a persons name here> gay? All this and other auto-complete auto-suggest information is based on the collaboration of frequency of all “surfer’s” (referring to people who browse the internet) asked questions on that search engine.
How is this related to technology? : Search engines are a part of the internet and the internet is a part of technology. So therefore anything closely related to the internet is a part of technology, such as this article’s topic.
- Owners of that search engine (Positive/Negative): With this feature in place impatient people will be very pleased as they will save a second or a millisecond of time searching for something. In addition, this is known to actually please people due to researchers studying this and also they know a lot about psychology and how people are pleased very easily. As a result, the owners will gain some major income as companies might want to post some advertisements on that search engien and or invest into it. However, this feature is known to cause questioning by the people using that search engine as they wonder how secure that search engine is and if they are genuinely “safe”. As a result, the owners of that search engine might lose some “surfers” to other search engines that are known to be “secure”
- People using that search engine (Positive): “With this feature in place impatient people will be very pleased as they will save a second or a millisecond of time searching for something” basically sums up how surfers will be positively affected by this feature. Also, some surfers are not aware of the dangers of searching something “dangerous” or suspicious.
- Other search engines that are not as popular as other search engines like Google (Neutral): Whether people convert to those not so popular search engines or not they won`t be affected that much as the popularity of Google and Bing`s search engine will most likely be the ones that are having endorsements and investment deals.
- People being frequently searched (Negative): Those people being searched will be negatively affected as the media will be all over this and try to exploit it causing the worldwide public to question this and as for the not so skeptic people they will instantly and undoubtedly believe it.
- Government (Neutral): The government doesn’t really get involved with this type of thing as there have more important priorities such as the economy. However, if this manages to actually invade peoples` privacy in a clear way then the government might step in and actually address this matter.
- Programmers in charge of making this auto-suggestion feature (Positive/Negative): Depending on how the public reacts to this is how the programmers will be affected. For example, if the public disapproves the feature then the owners of the search engine may cut their pay or simply just lay them off. However, if the public approves of this feature the owners of the search engine may give the programmers that make this feature a pay raise or at least praise.
Reflection/Opinion/Questions: Personally, I like this new feature as I enjoy having a rush of dopa-mine and this feature is way of giving me that rush. Even though it may keep records of my search engines it won`t matter to me as I have never searched anything that will severely hurt my career or life. As for other people, I doubt they too will be greatly affected if the search engine keeps records of their searches as I see no real connection someone could make if somebody else made a quirky or weird search. However, celebrities`names that pop up in the form of questioning their sexuality will be affected in a minuscule or massive negative way as there are those people who will believe what they hear or see undoubtedly.
What do you think of the auto-suggestion feature on Google or Bing`s search engine?
What would you say to someone if you knew about some weird searches they made?
Do you think Google or Bing keeps records of peoples`searches?
Summary: Google research (in Australia) noticed a 20% increase in shopping related searches each year and 40% of those searches were from smartphones and tablets. In addition, with the release of the iPhone 5 and iPad mini, it is likely more people in Australia will be using them to shop for items and or search for sales in stores (or online stores). Even Google Australia leader for local and retail Ross McDonald basically says that if a store’s information on a website is not accessible for mobile, then people looking at that information on their mobile device will “bounce off it” and research sales at a different store’s website.
How is this related to technology? : A smartphone/phone and tablet are technological devices therefore anything that has to do with the features and operation of it is somewhat related to technology, such as this article’s topic.
- Owners/investors of stores with a mobile compatible website (Positive): The owners of stores with a mobile compatible website will be positively affected because they will be able to attract those tons of people who are looking for sales on their phone and most likely obtain lots of income due to this.
- Owners/investors of stores without a mobile compatible website (Negative): Any owner or investor of a store that doesn’t have a mobile compatible website will be negatively affected as they will lose customers (as well as additional income) to those stores that have mobile compatible websites.
- Owners/investors of stores without a website (Negative): If an owner and or investor of a store doesn’t have a website at all then they will be greatly negatively affected as they will lose many customers to those stores with mobile compatible websites and stores that just have a website showing their sales on items.
- Consumers with mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, etc (Positive): Any consumer that has a mobile device in which you can access the internet from will be able to access the sales of different stores while on the go, thus saving them money if one store has a cheaper product than another store.
- Consumers without a mobile device (Negative/Neutral): Any person shopping that doesn’t have a cellular device will be affected in a negative way because they will not be able to save as much money as someone else who could access the sales of stores on their phone (on the go as well). However, it may not affect them that much as they may still find posters of sales at the store anyway.
- Employees/developers or web designers that made their store’s mobile compatible website (Positive): The web designers or developers that made the store’s website compatible with mobile devices will most likely get some sort of pay raise for their efforts as long as it is attracting a certain number of customers to the store. If not they will gain some praise from their manager or the owner at least.
- Employees/developers or web designers that didn’t make their store’s website compatible for mobile devices (Negative/Neutral): Any developer or web designer that didn’t make their store’s website compatible for mobile devices may be fired due to their inability to program the website’s compatibility. If not, the owner may just disregard it and move on.
- Government (Neutral): This topic doesn’t really affect the government that much as they have more important things to attend to such as the economy. They may just increase or decrease taxes on those items, but that is really unlikely in my opinion.
Reflection/Opinion/Questions: I personally think that the ability to use your phone to shop for items on sale is a excellent way of saving money, in fact even I use my phone to shop as well. It is an excellent way of checking out the different stores websites on the go (if their website supports mobile compatibility). Although, I wonder if the number of people in Australia shopping with their smartphone or tablet is like this, what are the numbers like in other places such as Canada, China, United States of America and more?
Do you use your phone to check the prices in certain stores?
If you have/were to have a phone what would you shop for?
If you didn’t/don’t have a phone would you consider getting one so you could check prices on the go?